The energy committee of cabinet has approved the recommendations related to the gas load management plan for the winter season.

The decision was made during the meeting of the energy body of the cabinet, led by Minister for Planning and Development Asad Umar, in Islamabad on Thursday, according to Express News.

Those in attendance gave recommendations regarding efforts to save the domestic and commercial consumers from the crisis during the season.

The report further quoted sources as saying that the committee approved the recommendation of the body to suspend the supply to captive power, general industry and the CNG sector for two months.

The committee issued directives for a continuous supply of the facility to domestic consumers, as well as to the export and cement sectors.

Also read: Shehbaz slams decision to provide gas ‘three times a day’

The body is scheduled to meet again to mull recommendations pertaining to the supply to the consumers.

Earlier this month, Minister for Energy Hammad Azhar informed the Senate that domestic gas reserves were depleting fast and the gas prices had not been increased since 2019.

Responding to a calling attention notice raised by senators Sherry Rehman and Saleem Mandviwalla about the ongoing crisis, Azhar had ensured smooth gas supply during breakfast, lunch and dinner timings in the winter season.

He had also said that around 70 per cent gas demand was being met through domestic reserves while the remaining 30 per cent through import and that Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) was very expensive compared to local gas.